Services of Blessing and Thanksgiving
Services for couples who are already married are wonderful occasions to celebrate marriage, whether after many years or after a civil marriage ceremony at home or abroad. This section explains some of the opportunities, looks at the liturgies available, and gives ideas for making the time special.
Statistics show that the number of Blessings happening in church is growing. Couples who don’t marry in church still want to involve the church in their marriage, which is great news! The two liturgies available can offer something really special to couples, whatever the circumstances:-
A Service of Blessing and/or Thanksgiving gives couples the following options:
- To invite family who could not go to the wedding to a formal service.
- To invite God’s blessing on the marriage.
- To have a church service with ‘all the trimmings’ if the civil service was low key.
- In certain circumstances, to involve the church if the couple have divorce in their background and you felt unable to offer a marriage service
- It can be tailored to have a similar look and feel to a wedding.
Legal tip: At your discretion, a blessing can be done in the same venue as the civil marriage on the same day, providing:
- the registrar has left
- there is enough time left in the day
- it is at a completely different time after the marriage and is obviously separate to it.
A Service of Blessing and/or Thanksgiving Can also be a wonderful way of enabling couples to renew their vows, either on a special anniversary or perhaps after a period of difficulty in the marriage.